Yes sir, I'm using cloth diapers! I decided a while ago while taking out one of many full garbage bags of diapers that this is ridiculous. I am adding this much to the garbage of the world twice a week or so, and am wreaking havoc on our budget replacing all that garbage with new ones that just end up in the same place. I don't know why I didn't feel this way with Daelyn, but for some reason it's bothering me this time around. Maybe, because of some great friends who have exposed me to the world of cloth, I am educated on the ease of use of the new generation of diapers and don't run away screaming at the idea of cloth. I researched these new diapers, the cost, the laundry techniques, and all that is involved and decided I wanted to try. There are so many different brands, and so many kinds; prefolds (which are basically rectangle pieces of absorbent material folded and secured) or fitted with covers, all in ones, pocket diapers, one size, or sized to fit it and it goes on. I decided to go with
one size pocket diapers. The are basically just like disposables, except that you have an insert to put in a pocket, and that is what absorbs. It has it's own cover and does up with snaps or velcro which ever you prefer. I got a few different brands to try out and see which I like best or what does and doesn't work. A couple of them are velcro, the rest are snaps. I got some off Etsy, that are home made, and some from stores that are Brand Name.
Yesterday was my first day using them and it was fun and successful! I used four diapers, with only one leak. I think I may have left him a little longer than I should, or maybe he just peed more than usual. It was a small leak and nothing major. And no Poop yet! *knock on wood* LOL I know he will, but hopefully not while in the cloth. There are flushable liners you can get to put inside that will keep them from staining and make disposing of the poop much easier. I have them on order so hopefully they'll be here soon. I'm not using them %100 of the time to start with and probably won't... well who knows, but for right now I'll use disposables for when we go out, and for over night. I'll have to build the trust on those times. Oh and the hubby says he won't change cloth diapers but I have a feeling I'll be able to get him too. It really is easy. Here's a pic of my big boy now in his
Happy Heiney's Cow Print velcro pocket diaper. This is also his three month picture with Stripes the Tiger a little late. I guess you can't see the diaper to well so I'll have to take better ones tomorrow. Oh and don't let the furrowed brow fool you, that is his default face. :)

I'll try to update with my reviews on the different brands as I get used to them.
I already have one I'm not sure I'm fond of...
5 comments:
I so wised I had used Cloth diapers! GOOD FOR YOU MOMMA! Mac sure is getting cute........love the cow print!
I love using cloth.. HOWEVER I'm quite fustrated with my pockets lately.... DON"T USE DIAPER CREAM! NOTHING -- even supposed cloth diaper safe stuff...I truely LOVE my fitteds and cover.
I'm interested in which one you didn't like???
I am going to attempt to spring for some AI2s and also get my butt busy and make some more AI2's I make them for other but never get around to making them for my poor little guy! He gets all the seconds.. I really need to buckle down and make him some more... cuase he is finally at 13 months outgrowing his small diapers! haha!
Oh and poop isnt' a big deal... especially till they start food... Only now with table food do I really have to rinse well... and I use a hand shower sprayer and spray it over the potty and then flush it down and toss the wet one into the diaper pail and thats it till I wash! sooo not difficult - just an extra step to rinse every night...
Thanks Kris, I'll do a post on the one I'm questioning in a bit. I'm trying it again today to see if it was maybe just a one time thing.
We don't have a shower sprayer that I can take off the wall, it would be nice if it was that easy. I can get one of those diaper sprayers but that's not helping my "it's cheaper" claim now is it. LOL I heard some people use Popsicle sticks to scrap them and then discard of them in toilet paper in the garbage. We'll see I guess.
Thanks Zizi, the cow print is my favourite! A lot of the online stores were sold out of them, but I kept hunting until I found it! =)
The one store that I bought them from sent me a sample of bum cream. I'm gonna have to check that out on their site before I use it... I'm thinking it may get put away anyway just in case. I read somewhere that a squirt of Dawn dish soap helps to strip diapers. Have you heard or tried that?
Post a Comment