Mar 5, 2010

Living out of a Jar

Many times over the years I've tried to put us on a budget. I didn't really know how so to no surprise it failed miserably. We don't necessarily need to be on one, but we're not filthy rich either. Who doesn't have debt right? We just really don't like it. Obviously it didn't stop me from buying my Mac but hey... priorities right? Anyway, I digress. I have watched the show, "Till Debt Do Us Part" for a long time and always thought she had some great tips. It also made me feel better because I knew we weren't as bad off as those people were. (for the most part) A couple of months ago, good friends of ours mentioned the "infamous" jars that is talked about on the show and we were shocked as we didn't know of too many people that also watched the show and it's host Gail Vas Oxlade. Apparently she had her latest book out and when the men were in the city last they picked up a copy of it at Costco of all places. So after reading it and learning about how to budget, I finally did one that will work for our family. When you figure that out, you take out your money for the week in cash and place it in the appropriate jar. You have to get to the end of the week, before you get to the end of the money. So far we've been successful, but have also had to cheat a few times. Things come up that you don't expect and unfortunately you have to juggle things around and use some credit. It stinks. Hopefully now that I have built some of these things (curling registration, piano lessons, vehicle insurance) into the budget it will be in the account ready and waiting for next time. You'll notice I say hopefully. Anyway, the jars are a really great way to curb that uncontrolled spending of cash that you just can't figure out where it went afterwards. Look at your bank statement some time and add up all the "cash withdrawals", I bet you'll be surprised. This way if it's not in the jar, you can't spend it.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I still haven't done this!! I keep thinking about it and just never get around to it!! GRR!! Need to just DO it already!

June F. said...

Ya Kris, once you get over that first hump of starting it isn't really that bad. Some things we cheat on but I haven't found away to avoid that yet. All necessary things, not just junk or "wants"

Meghan said...

I like that show too!
Curling registration?? Do you curl??

Meghan said...

Also... I love the new look!

June F. said...

Maybe it's just one of those shows nobody talks about. LOL And thanks :D

Nope, no curling for me. That's Scott's thing.