May 23, 2010

Do you have a "bestie"?

An Aussie friend of mine, calls her close friends "Bestie's". I think that's just cute, and it got me thinking about my current situation in life.

What is that situation you ask? I'm not sure. I don't feel I've been wronged by anyone that I'm using this forum to send them a "message" or anything. It's just lately I've been thinking a lot about my friends, Besties or otherwise, or lack there of. My 5 year old plays with a new person her age (or not for that matter) and all of a sudden she has a new "best" friend. LOL So easy! Then there is our teenager can't part with her friends without hugging and throwing out the "Love you's" like it will be a year or more before seeing each other again when in reality they'll see each other the very next day. I tell ya!! Growing up I've had lots of friends, not an abundance of Besties, but three or four along the way. (You know who you are!)

But now that I'm 30-something and raising a family I find keeping those close friend relationships, difficult. We've lived in three different places over the last 8 years so each time I make a new "Bestie" that I can trust completely with my thoughts and opinions, we move. Of course there are phones, and all those lovely internet devices that the teenagers thrive on but alas we are still 30-something with families. Everyone is busy with kids activities, work, family obligations, and just the general goings on of daily life. Time passes and before you know it, it's been months since you've talked to your Bestie.

Do guys have "Besties"? I'm sure some do, but I don't think it's quite the same. They hang out, golf, drink beer, whatever... but do they talk , discuss life, share their feelings, and even vent when needed? Probably not, well I'm sure the Vent about their wives, that's a given. But it's not the same.

Why, again am I bringing this up? I don't know really. We've lived in this place for 3.5 years now, the longest we've lived anywhere except where we grew up of course, and (please don't take this as a pathetic plea for one) I haven't found what I consider to be a "Bestie" here. I love the friends I/we have of course but yet something is missing. Is it that I'm just in a spot in life where it's difficult to devote the time to cultivate that kind of relationship? Or am I closing myself off, in preparation of an impending move. (no nothing is in the immediate future, but it's bound to happen eventually) I know I'm shy, that's probably my biggest problem. And even though I've come a long way, I still have miles to go.

I'd like to have the ideal relationship with my husband to be able to say "My husband is my best friend" but come on... Seriously? He just cannot understand the gravity of many of the things I would chat about, like the situation Little Grey is in now telling Karev she'd never leave him as he's nearly dying and yet her real love, McSteamy, is saving his life. Don't get me wrong I can tell him everything and I love him like no other, but really... It's not just that either, but to have someone to do girly things with. Garage sales, movies, trips across the border for cheap food and mail pickups (LOL), parades, fairs, and all those other "foo foo" activities the man doesn't like to do.

So tell me, are you in a similar situation? Do you have a "bestie" or just lots of regular friends? Do you still talk to your Bestie from high school, or do you make lots of new ones along life's journey? I'm curious, so please share your thoughts with me.

8 comments:

Melissa From Dot Com said...

I am totally like you on this one.... we have moved around a lot since we got married 8 years ago. I have made some good friends along the way, but not many that were super close and few that I am very committed to keeping in touch with. sad, hey?
But, if I was to be totally honest with myself, even if we had not moved around a lot I probably wouldn't have a bestie... when you get older it gets harder/weirder to just call someone up to go for coffee and hang out. Scott could transfer to calgary and we could go to IKEA for lunch and discuss this whole little grey situation.... and the whole christina/owen thing too!

Laura Fefchak said...

I think you are certainly not alone, Juney and there is probably some truth to you not completely connecting knowing that a move may be on the horizon. I personally think it is a wee bit creepy when people describe their spouses as their "best friends" - especially since I am very familiar with yours - hehe!! But seriously, girlfriends fill a special place in our hearts and it is a different kind of attachment than to our spouses. And heck - I totally can relate even though I am married to a woman! Keep being honest about what is keeping you from fully investing in the kind of bestie friendship you seek. You'll figure it out! Love ya!

Meghan said...

Oh June! First of all I think that you are very brave to put this out there! I TOTALLY understand and have had many conversations with the hubby about it ( they don't get it btw). We moved back here almost 8 years ago and it is super hard for me. I miss my girls, I miss going for drinks on occasion, I miss getting together to watch and discuss Little Grey and Alex and the bachelor's new shenanigans. You are not alone!!

Sandy said...

That was us. Many times I wish it still were us. We had things in common and you were the only person who understood my frustrations with the job and the demands. Somewhere something got in the way. I have my opinion on how that happened but that's just another battle I don't want to fight. Even after the misunderstanding I opened myself again but its just not happening this time.

June F. said...

Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts girls. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this!

Mel - I would LOVE to come to IKEA for lunch, that sounds very tempting. hehe

Laura - You're funny!! Thanks for the awesome words!

Meghan - I was taking a big risk putting my heart out there, but I just felt like I needed to get that out. It probably took me half a day (and many edits) to press publish though! LOL

Sandy - I don't really know what happened (and no it's not worth fighting over), but we will always have the A-town bond. I guess things are different now: new town, different situation... more kids to cart around. LOL Try not to think of it as an all or nothing thing. :)

I'd love to hear more opinions on this!

Sandy said...

Well I guess the hassle of "carting" kids around may pose a problem. I think for the sake of my own sanity and the possibility of spending time with a "friend" its not a chore.

Shari said...

You will always be my "Bestie" Junebug! We may not be able to get together for our "Survivor" tea nights, or go to Kenosee for camping, etc. but just know that I will ALWAYS be there for you whenever you need me to be, and that is what makes us "BESTIES"!!!!

Sandy said...

You know June, its not about going back cause I would never go back to the bad times in that place. Its all about moving forward and making memories in a place where there is more to do and where you & I are in a different frame of mind. I don't care if I have 3 kids to haul around, spending time with friends and getting a change of scenery and getting out of the house is what matters to me. Kids just make it a little more fun with the challenges that they bring.