It started off as a normal day. The hubs was on days so he did his usual routine and went off to work. Daelyn was having a non school day so she was home as well. We had planned to head off to watch big sister at the Arts Festival in a nearby town later in the morning so I was getting ready in the bathroom. Now if you don't know our house I'll explain. It's a bungalow with the bedrooms, bathroom (not an en-suit so it is in the hallway off the living room sort of), kitchen and living room all on the main floor. So anyway, I was in the bathroom, Daelyn was watching a movie in the living room and Mackster was walking about as usual, poping by the bathroom regularly to check in on me. Nothing unusual.... Then I hear a SMASH and breath taking SCREAM from Mackinley in the kitchen. I can barely even type this without getting a bit teary. I ran out there to find the coffee maker (yes you know it) had not been pushed in to the back of the counter and he had grabbed the carafe. There was only about 1 cup left in it but he had spilt it over himself and then dropped it smashing it to the floor. I grabbed him up and got him into the bathroom to strip him out of his sleeper and douse him in cold water. I grabbed a towel I had soaked to put on him but he wanted none of that. I started running the tub to put him in there and then I noticed that his skin was starting to peel off. OMG Terror ran through me. I know I'm a "retired" paramedic but nothing can prepare you for injuries in your own children. How absolutely terrible! I called The Hubs and we got him up to the hospital right away. The Dr. came and looked at him and she said that it looks like it's just superficial (Thank Goodness!) and they would clean it and dress it up for us. We left with instructions to be heavy on the pain meds, and to make an appointment for the next day to have him reassessed and redressed.
The rest of the day was pretty good considering. We came home, had a bite to eat, and he was pretty tired so he went down for his nap early. He slept most of the afternoon, and woke in good spirits. You could hardly even tell that something so painful had happened to him that morning. The night was good to, he didn't even wake up for more pain meds like I had expected him to. What a trouper!!
So this morning we packed up and headed back to see the Dr. She looked at him and after confirming again that it was just superficial (He has three open sores, one on his arm, one on his chest, and one on his thigh) and they'd redress it and bandage it up again. Now yesterday I had to redress it myself as it was coming undone and all goopy so when I asked for more supplies the Dr. said I wasn't to touch it until Sunday. That's 4 days! I can redress it on Sunday, then I'm to come in on Monday to have it redone again. Frankly that doesn't make sense, but we'll see how the next few days go!
Daelyn was an Angel through this all. She was upset when it happened, of course, but was as calm as a cucumber at the hospital. She was quiet and stayed out of the way as they dressed him up. We were so proud of her!! What a scary thing to see her brother that way.
Hayley? Well we didn't make it to her performance that morning and she was so understanding, only caring that her brother was ok. She was a huge help yesterday to me when I had to do diaper changes and adjustments to his gauze wraps and dressings. She was pretty grossed out by his sores, and didn't like looking at them but she was always there with a shiny bracelet, or dangly necklace to keep his attention.
Needless to say, the coffee maker was pushed as far back as possible this morning. Learn from our mistake, and don't let it happen to you. Just because you don't think they are tall enough to reach one day, let me assure you they will grow that extra inch over night and surprise you!!!












1 comments:
Oh my god June. I'm glad to hear that he (and you!) are okay. That must have been terrifying. I remember when Reese took a header off of the table... I cried harder and longer than she did. No matter how hard we try, we can't prevent everything.
Post a Comment