Jun 1, 2008

Computer issues

Well that was one long week but we're back online!  So here's what happened:

One of our fans was starting to fail, it was cutting in and out and making a very annoying noise. I took the proactive approach and wanted to take care of it before it went cap-put so after a quick question to our good friend and computer guy, I took it up to the town computer guy to get the fan replaced.  They informed me after a couple of hours that they didn't have the right size of fan, but that after cleaning ours out that it still worked just made some noise like it was "going to cut out, but wasn't actually stopping"  Ya okay that's exactly why I wanted it fixed!  So I asked them to just replace the whole video card which had the fan on it.  Great!  Done!  We bring it home and it works that evening.  The next morning I get up and .... NOTHING, no graphics or imaging at all!  I call the town guys again and they say to bring it in. They have it the whole day, and this is what they say:  The video card shorted and burnt out when they tried to turn the computer on.  LOVELY.  They try a few other cards and nothing, claiming that we now need a new mother board and it was just bad timing.  WHAT???  NO,  I don't think so. 

So we take the computer home and conveniently Scott was going to the city and our friend/computer guy agreed to take a look at it.  Here's what really happened - Our computer has two video card ports, and yes the first one  fried.  It was likely on it's way out, which was what was making our fan cut in and out and when they turned it on it burnt.  So we are still able to use the second port but need a different kind of video card, fine that's a quick and easy fix.  Scott gets the new card, friend puts it in the second port and we are off to the races!  It seems all to often when they are not sure what's wrong they blame it on the Motherboard.  When Scott went to get the new video card, the salesmen tried to sell him a whole new computer.  *eyeroll*  As much as I want a MAC this will work for another couple of years or until I save up enough cash! ;)

So this week I will be backing everything up and cleaning out all the junk that we don't use/need any more.  I have most everything backed up on my EHD but the most recent pictures and the thought of loosing those was making me ill so I don't want that happening again!  

TTFN!


0 comments: