Aug 30, 2007

Black Henna Warning

So today I came across this in the Sept issue of Parents magazine:



I don't know if you'd remember what happened to me after our trip to Punta Cana Feb. 06 but I had a bad reaction to the Henna tattoo I got at our resort. I love Henna and have been getting these temporary tattoos since 2001 when my friend gave me one on a night shift at work. Shhhhh!!!!! Anyway, I didn't hesitate to get the beautiful butterfly done on my ankle this time or any other. Later that day though I felt that it was hot on my skin, but since it was dark I figured it was just attracting more of the sun than my skin and I tried to keep it in the shade for a while. All four of us got them done and surprisingly mine was the only one that didn't fade. Part of the deal at the resort was that they would touch it up if need be before you went home. Jen got hers redone, but mine was still black.

It wasn't until about a week later that I felt it starting to itch. We were heading to Altona for some event and it was just killing me. It became red and my skin felt like it was on fire! When we got home I headed into P-town to the walk inclinic (which I never do) because this just wasn't right. The dr. didn't really say anything except it was a local allergic reaction and perscribed some cream to put on it. It worked and it slowly went away leaving a scar for quite some time. I looked on line and found out that it seemed to be a reaction to Black Henna that they must have used on my tattoo.

I've only colored my hair once since then and boy did that ever itch, like never before! I wonder if that would happen if I colored it again?

Here's some pics of what happened to me:
(Brian, you may not want to see these. I know how sensitive your stomach is! LOL)





It was a beautiful butterfly tattoo though. :(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey June, that is yucky. Interesting you should write this, we have a fair coming up and Henna is one of the things you can have done. Pretty butterfly though. Jolina

Anonymous said...

it looks like scarification.. looks really painful..

Andrea

Myztri said...

Unfortunately, what you got was not henna. It is a black dye called PPD. Real henna is not black. Real henna is a brown to rich brown red. Please pass these warnings along. http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

June F. said...

Just to add to my own post, here is a link regarding Black Henna in Canada.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2003/2003_66-eng.php

Kim Brennan / Mehndi Masala said...

Wow...I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hear it all the time from people traveling to USA, Greece and Mexico. Henna is supposed to be a beautiful thing. Be aware that some of the greedy people out there are now using brown PPD as the public is now more aware of the black or gasoline/kerosene in the mix. Being the only person certified in MB, I see alot of the pop up tents doing some nasty practices, but have only caught one lady at the Fringe trying to use the black. OH and don't try to dye your hair again! The results are just going to get worse unless you use pure henna and natural ingredients like indigo. Thanks for sharing your story and if you could contact me, I'd like to use your pix as a cautionary tale to others!

Kim
Hasina Mehndi & Body Art
http://www.winnipeghenna.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kim-Brennan-of-Hasina-Mehndi-Body-Art/22597255043